[petsc-dev] KSP automatic reordering

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:45:36 CDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2012, at 8:09 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > We should make it brain-dead simple for KSP to reorder internally and
> run the solve in a low-bandwidth ordering.
>
>      I've always had very difficult philosophical issues with doing this.
>  It messes up the layering of KSP outside of the PC/matrix; I have the same
> issues with having KSP diagonally scale the system before solving it.  We
> have this really ugly chunk of code in KSPSolve() to do the diagonal scaling
>
>   /* diagonal scale RHS if called for */
>   if (ksp->dscale) {
>     ierr =
> VecPointwiseMult(ksp->vec_rhs,ksp->vec_rhs,ksp->diagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     /* second time in, but matrix was scaled back to original */
>     if (ksp->dscalefix && ksp->dscalefix2) {
>       Mat mat,pmat;
>
>       ierr = PCGetOperators(ksp->pc,&mat,&pmat,PETSC_NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>       ierr =
> MatDiagonalScale(pmat,ksp->diagonal,ksp->diagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>       if (mat != pmat) {ierr =
> MatDiagonalScale(mat,ksp->diagonal,ksp->diagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);}
>     }
>
>     /*  scale initial guess */
>     if (!ksp->guess_zero) {
>       if (!ksp->truediagonal) {
>         ierr =
> VecDuplicate(ksp->diagonal,&ksp->truediagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>         ierr = VecCopy(ksp->diagonal,ksp->truediagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>         ierr = VecReciprocal(ksp->truediagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>       }
>       ierr =
> VecPointwiseMult(ksp->vec_sol,ksp->vec_sol,ksp->truediagonal);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>     }
>   }
>
> But it is nasty because it changes the convergence tests, the monitor
> routines (they report the residual norms in the scale system not the
> original).  Also, does it unscale the matrix after the solve (or leave it
> scaled for when it is never going to be used again?). The scaling can screw
> up algebraic multigrid methods. Does the scaling affect Eisenstat-Walker
> type convergence tests for Newton's method….  It is nasty code, hard to
> follow and hard for users to fully appreciate.
>
> We could do the same ugly hacked up thing for reordering; using a
> partitioner for between processes and a low-bandwidth ordering within
> inside the KSPSolve/SetUp().
>
> It would be nice to have a cleaner/clearer abstract model in terms of the
> software layering to handle this.  For example I played with the idea of a
> "diagonal scaling" PC and "reordering" PC that
> does the change and then has its own KSP inside for the solve. Thus you'd
> run with -ksp_type preonly -pc_type reorder -reorder_ksp_type gmres
> -reorder_pc_type ilu etc. But that seems a bit pedantic
> and annoying that you have to put all your "true" solver options with a
> prefix.
>
>   Jed, what is your solution?

Why not make it part of the matrix? For the minute, assume we are using a
DM. Then the
matrix has the nonzero pattern already. We can use an option to compute a
fill-reducing ordering
and either permute it directly, or just use the permutations on in and out.
This insulates it from
the solver completely.

    Matt