[petsc-dev] Introducing myself

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 13 15:49:56 CDT 2012

Dear petsc-dev folks,

as I've just started at the MCS division and met only some
PETSc-developers in person, I would like to take the rather
old-fashioned step of introducing myself to non-MCS developers.

Coming from a microelectronics/numerical mathematics background, my main
work throughout my prae-doc years has been on deterministic solution
approaches (i.e. non-Monte-Carlo) for Boltzmann's equation for
semiconductors. To do so, the usual FEM/FVM requirements need to be met:
Mesh handling, linear system assembly, linear system solves, plus some
nonlinear headaches. As the complexity of monolithic codes does not
blend well with the come-and-go of PhD students at my previous
workplace, I've decided to take a library-centric approach, leading to a
couple of orthogonal high-level C++ libraries. Out of these, the most
widely used/known library is ViennaCL [1], which provides OpenCL-based
linear algebra operations at the convenience of CPU-based high-level C++
libraries such as Boost.uBLAS. Other libraries I've authored and which
are worth mentioning in this context are ViennaGrid [2] (mesh handling)
and ViennaData [3] (generic data storage) plus the still rather immature
ViennaMath [4] (static and dynamic symbolic math kernel targeted towards
PDEs) and ViennaFEM [5] (finite elements, using ViennaMath).

My future work on PETSc will presumably focus on multicore architectures
and extended GPU support. However, I'm still exploring options in order
to find the sweet spot where I can contribute most. Discussions and
proposals here on petsc-dev will follow :-)

Best regards,
Karli

[1] http://viennacl.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://viennagrid.sourceforge.net/