[petsc-dev] PETSc factories 101 and 102

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 8 17:37:48 CDT 2012

On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> So you guys are programming in Java-fake^™,  so good luck with that :-)
>
> Clojure and Scala are pretty good languages. Java being a terrible language does not imply that the JVM (or Dalvik) is a broken platform.
>
> JVM definitely sucks (stack machine with builtin slowness), but who cares about performance on these things.
> I am writing in C.
>

>   Run any good PETSc programs on a Android recently?
>
> We should be able to do it with the native development kit.
>
> Once Android is destroyed by malware and incompatible versions, iOS will still be standing.
>
> We should start changing to review PETSc applications before people are allowed to run them. ;-)
>
> I don't think I can ever use XCode. I am trying to think of a useful thing I can
> do on my phone that I can't do on my laptop. If I had a projector screen and
> rollout keyboard, I might be able to program.

    I'm not thinking of programming on these things. But, for example, having a turn-key app on an iPad that solves one well defined class of problems one wants to solve out in the field.

    Barry

What that well defined class of problems is I don't have a clue. Maybe as Jed climbs a glacier he can be scanning in the temperature, shape,… and it can be running a simulation to show how much of the ice will be gone by the end of the summer.

   Barry