[petsc-dev] PETSc factories 101 and 102

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:24:42 CDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> So you guys are programming in Java-fake^™,  so good luck with that :-)
>

> Clojure and Scala are pretty good languages. Java being a terrible
> language does not imply that the JVM (or Dalvik) is a broken platform.

JVM definitely sucks (stack machine with builtin slowness), but who cares
about performance on these things.
I am writing in C.

>>   Run any good PETSc programs on a Android recently?
>

> We should be able to do it with the native development kit.
>

>> Once Android is destroyed by malware and incompatible versions, iOS will
>> still be standing.
>

> We should start changing to review PETSc applications before people are
> allowed to run them. ;-)

I don't think I can ever use XCode. I am trying to think of a useful thing
I can
do on my phone that I can't do on my laptop. If I had a projector screen and
rollout keyboard, I might be able to program.