[petsc-dev] http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-11-12/intel_brings_manycore_x86_to_market_with_knights_corner.html

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 12 21:46:14 CST 2012

Hey,

>         Then add on top of this the fact that you could simply recompile
>         PETSc, run it natively on the card, and still run it on your
>         CPU's as MPMD.
>

>     This is a good way to get terrible performance.
>

> Why?  Decompose your domain to take into account the imbalance in
> computational power.  The link between the card and the CPU is going to
> be faster than going to another node.

I fully second Jed. Computational scientists are already fighting with
getting scalable performance on a 'standard' multi-core architecture, so
I doubt that one can really obtain a gain on an accelerator-architecture
for any real-world application just be recompilation of  existing code.
Also, add the extra issue of PCI-Express latency.

Best regards,
Karli