[petsc-dev] PetscSection

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Sat Nov 10 14:33:30 CST 2012

On Nov 10, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov<mailto:jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov>>
 wrote:

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu<mailto:bourdin at lsu.edu>> wrote:
Nope... and please, don't break that...

Here is an example of a mesh with 4 element blocks. In an analysis code, for each block , I would specify the element type, type of physics, coefficients etc in a petscBag. That said, I may be doing it wrong...

block 10 is made of tri
block 22 is made of quad
blocks 100 and 102 are made of bars

I'm not suggesting any demotion of this ability. I'm trying to understand what is the advantage of having a stratum with unsorted mixed dimension. If the blocks were sorted by dimension, you would still access them using a label (which gives you an index set, perhaps contiguous). You would still be able to do all the normal operations with those points. If you want to have one loop over all elements of the various types, you would union or concatenate the index sets of each type. Am I missing something?

No, you are absolutely right. I get your point now.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA