[petsc-dev] Current status: GPUs for PETSc

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 08:00:45 CST 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Lawrence Mitchell <
lawrence.mitchell at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Karli, and others,
>
> On 05/11/2012 01:51, Karl Rupp wrote:

> > That's it for now, after some more refining I'll start with a careful
> > migration of the code/concepts into PETSc. Comments are, of course,
> > always welcome.
>
> So we're working on FE assembly + solve on GPUs using fenics kernels
> (github.com/OP2/PyOP2).  For the GPU solve, it would be nice if we could
> backdoor assembled matrices straight on to the GPU.  That is, create a Mat
> saying "this is the sparsity pattern" and then, rather than calling
> MatSetValues on the host, just pass a pointer to the device data.

Yes, I was doing the same thing. GPU assembly is not really any faster than
CPU,
so I did not publish it, but not having to transfer the values back is very
nice.

In Karl's scheme its easy, since you just go in and get the device pointer
from the
handle. We can talk about a user level interface after you verify that this
works and
is what you want.

    Matt