[petsc-dev] PCASM uses DMCreateDecomposition which splits field, NOT expected behavior

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 28 17:10:16 CDT 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> This is an enormous amount of new code and changes to put in during a code
> freeze, but my test case works now.

We can revert, if it starts causing problems.  The extra code is due to the
API chance, hence several new interface functions.

> A couple comments  from looking at the patch:
>
> I'm not sure I like the direction of the link in DMSetEmbedding(DM dm, IS
> embedding, DM ambientdm). Normally the composite DM knows how to fit its
> pieces together, but the sub-DM does not have "upward links" to the global
> problem.

This is to be able to combine domain and field splits: sometimes a subDM
has to know how to "relativize" itself with respect to another subDM.

> There are dead links in your documentation because you reference functions
> that don't exist (were renamed), e.g. DMCreateDecomposition() in the
> DMSetEmbedding() man page. There may be more. You should generate the docs
> and check the man pages.
>

> How does your interface support "Neumann" subdomains?

I think this issue is orthogonal to the definition of the decomposition,
since there has to be additional support at the PC
and Mat level to assemble the Neumann subproblems.  At this point you would
have to do some combination of PCASMSetModifySubmatrices() with nullspace
removal.

> Your DMCreateDomainDecomposition() seems to provide nominally overlapping
> index sets, but how do we determine what part is owned? (RASM, especially,
> needs both an overlapping decomposition and a (non-overlapping) partition.

My intent was to have these be nonoverlapping and expand them with another
call (e.g., DMDomainDecompositionIncreaseOverlap().  The current API plays
better with GASM, since that PC assumes that the basic subdomains are
nonoverlapping. That fix will have to wait for the next release, I guess.

Dmitry.