[petsc-dev] PCASM uses DMCreateDecomposition which splits field, NOT expected behavior

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 26 21:07:06 CDT 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 26, 2012, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > Dmitry, I have problems with this commit.
> > http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/440ec9350d51
> >
> > If I try running -pc_type asm with a vector problem defined on a DM,
> PCASM calls DMCreateDecomposition which splits fields on each process. This
> is of very limited value since usually every field is coupled to every
> other, so after increasing the overlap by one, you end up solving the
> entire subdomain twice. However, at this point, you are not using overlap
> so instead, we get subdomain and field blocked Jacobi. (Equivalent to
> BJacobi with additive fieldsplit inside.) This is certainly unexpected
> behavior.
> > It also crashes with Seq(S)BAIJ because MatGetSubMatrices_SeqBAIJ can
> only extract when the block size matches.
> > And it does the wrong thing when used with MPI(S)BAIJ because
> MatGetSubMatrices_MPIBAIJ calls ISCompressIndicesGeneral which silently
> "fills in" the blocks, leading to a Mat and Vec size mismatch. Hong, how
> should we enforce that the original index set actually addresses blocks?
> Why is it not okay to sort? (Don't we rely on those indices being sorted
> somewhere else anyway?)
>
> The problem is that this API mixes field splits and (spatial) domain
> decompositions.
> Initially I thought the two kinds could be served up via the same API
> because they use the same syntax, but the semantics are different. In
> particular,  domain decompositions don't change the block size, while field
> splits typically do. Then it's usually downwards -- when splitting up a
> block of fields pointwise, but sometimes upwards -- in a primal-dual split
> of a KKT system the primal subsystem might have a higher natural block size
> than the full system.
>
> I think the solution is to split up the API: DMCreateFieldSplit() and
> DMCreateDomainDecomposition(). I'll look into it later tonight, when I get
> to my computer.

If the arguments are definitely going to be the same, there could be an
enum to designate which form is being requested.

What are we going to do now? Leave the code there deactivated like it is
now for the release and discuss later?

> > Our test coverage must be pretty sucky if we went two months with ASM
> this broken for systems.
> >
> > As a lower priority, -pc_asm_decomposition should provide a list of
> valid decompositions rather than be a magic string. Also, this form cannot
> be called outside of a PetscOptionsBegin/End pair, otherwise it doesn't
> print -help output. It should be moved to PCSetUp_ASM.
> > ierr = PetscOptionsString("-pc_asm_decomposition", "Name of the DM
> defining the composition", "PCSetDM", ddm_name, ddm_name,1024,&flg);
> CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
> The problem here is that the PC object doesn't really know what
> decompositions are available -- the DM does. We could have
> DMGetSubdomainDecompositionNames() advertise what'd available. Another
> problem is that what decompositions make sense is DM-impl-dependent.  It is
> more stark for fieldsplits: I have a fork of libMesh that can generate
> decompositions based on the system's variables, and essentially any
> groupings of variable names are valid splits ( e.g., v1,v2;v3,v4. I think
> it makes sense to maintain that flexibility).

Cool, what about deeper nestings like [v1,[[v2,v3],v4]].

> Because of that I think the best help line would only exhibit the syntax,
> rather than enumerate all possible splits.

How about having a DM-specific function for that designation?