[petsc-dev] Multigrid is confusing

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 24 21:25:54 CDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   Sarcasm on --
>   Yes, of course. It is essentially done, write it up and I want it on my
> desk by 8 AM Friday.
>  -- Sarcasm off
>
>   So what if we know the primatives. How does it give us the "language" to
> express these kernels and the tools to do the processing?

I hate C++ templates as much as the next guy, but I think they can do this
without insanity. I think we could also do it with a handful of macro hacks
and C inline functions.

Sure, we might be able to make a cool DSL for expressing this stuff, but
I'm afraid we'd end up spending more time and debugging confusion making it
play with everything else than we'd gain by having the DSL in the first
place.

I could be totally wrong.