[petsc-dev] What needs to be done before a release?

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 11 12:03:05 CDT 2012

>   All the fixes that go in the "release repo" also need to go into the "development repo", I don't want to have any chance of  the "release repo" becoming a branch; I want it to only be an earlier version of the development repo.

Right ... which is why there is a "freeze" on the dev repo. Making a
release implies that it will be a branch, see for instance:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/StandardBranching

Each of our petsc-3.X repos are open heads compared to petsc-dev. We
could maintain the exact same workflow if we just had one petsc-dev
repo with two branches: default (already there) and stable (an open
head of the lastest release). Plus, we'd be able to use the 'graft'
command to backport fixes.