[petsc-dev] OpenMP Support

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 8 21:44:36 CDT 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Dave Nystrom <dnystrom1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I see that petsc-dev now has some OpenMP support.  Would a serial, non-mpi
> code that uses petsc-dev be able to gain much performance improvement from
> it
> now for the case of doing sparse linear solve with cg and jacobi
> preconditioning?

The kernels are being transitioned to use the threadcomm, which enables
OpenMP and other threading models.

We anticipate that pthreads will provide the best performance because
operations can be less synchronous than with OpenMP (for which a parallel
 region implies barrier semantics). But if other parts of an application
are using OpenMP, it would be preferable for PETSc to also use OpenMP so
that it can share the same thread pool. The same applies to TBB.