[petsc-dev] PETSc MG Solvers vs agmg

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 1 22:54:14 CDT 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Dave Nystrom wrote:

>>> 2.  Is anyone on this list sufficiently familiar with agmg and the other
>>> PETSc mg solvers to know how to configure the PETSc mg solvers to work more
>>> like agmg?  It seems that agmg gives better performance than the PETSc mg
>>> solvers but I also have issues with agmg including fragility.
>>
>> Please send a link for information on agmg; I've never heard of that.
>
> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~ynotay/AGMG

   Ok, this general approach is what the Trilinos ML solver users (which is a fairly good) and what Mark Adams is adding to PETSc in PCGAMG.

   You can start by ./configure PETSc with --download-ml and then run the program with -pc_type mg

   You can run with -ksp_view to see the number of levels etc it ended up with and http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCML.html for some options.

   Barry