[petsc-dev] Who broke the GPU build?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 27 09:25:08 CDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> I update my GPU machine today by
> >>
> >>   - Pulling BuildSystem, petsc-dev, thrust, cusp
> >>   - Reconfiguring
> >>   - Recompiling
> >>
> >> and none of the Thrust or Cusp things will build because VecType is
> >> again messed up. I look in the headers and the #undef VecType seems
> >> to be missing. Where did it go? and aren't we testing this?
> >>

> > If I add #undef VecType to seqcusp/cuspvecimpl.h I get a working build.
> > What the hell is going on here???
> >

> Okay, this runs on my laptop, but not on this desktop. Is this an
> incompatibility with the
> Thrust repo, meaning we can only use Thrust embedded in the CUDA distro?

No idea about the version of thrust you have - but I've just upgraded
the cuda test machine to use cuda-4.1 [with builtin thrust] - and the
release cusp-v0.3.1 - and the build went through fine.

And I had earlier [a couple of months ago?] noticed that latest
thrust-dev [or was it cusp-dev] of that time diverged such that
petsc-dev would no longer build - and I had to revert to an earlier
working dev snapshots of these packages.

Satish