[petsc-dev] slow "ar Scq" on cygwin

Chetan Jhurani chetan.jhurani at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 21:26:30 CDT 2012

> Look. It does not do that. Ever. In any universe. I don't know what you think you are doing,

> but it is definitely not what you wrote. Look at the code. It can't do that.

I don't think you understand what your code is doing in a new

environment of the same universe.

It works fine on Linux with the steps you had given.

But on the cygwin side, no dependency files like

./lib/libpetsc-obj/adaptbasic.d are created. I found this after

running the python build on Linux (I didn't know before this

where the dependencies were stored).

Here is some debug info in the python code:

In the buildLibraries function on the Linux box (when building in the second step)

  self.sourceDatabase =  DirectedGraph with 1172 vertices and 21894 edges

However, on the cygwin side (again, when building the second time)

 self.sourceDatabase =  <builder.NullSourceDatabase object at 0xffd833ac>

So of course it is totalRebuild = true on cygwin.

I don't mind extra debugging on cygwin/Windows before reporting issues

since I know the petsc project has many other priorities. But a few useful

debugging pointers will be serve both of us better.

Chetan