[petsc-dev] Patches like this make me want to cry

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 28 17:24:58 CDT 2012

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/d2f118b395b2

This thing is way too big to review, includes huge swaths of commented-out
code, breaks coding conventions and portability, and introduces strange new
APIs (like VecTransplantPlaceArray) that haven't really been explained and
seem to produce questionable semantics.

This is non-portable:

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/66ca8db0d5f8

Can we please institute some sort of policy on patch quality/reviewability?
This one patch is going to take a significant amount of fix-up (not made
easier by the several merges since) and/or generate several build failures
and user inconvenience (petsc-maints). No doubt the functionality is
important, but we just don't have time to fix these things line-by-line
after they are pushed.