[petsc-dev] Parallel Gauss - Seidel

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Sun Jun 10 12:05:09 CDT 2012

Jed has it pretty much right.  See my SC2002 paper (my web page) or Prometheus source: src/gauss_seid.C

The local equation are partitioned into ~20 sets and GS is applied to these sets one at a time, with communication between them.  It is completely asynchronous and it is a true G-S.  The reverse stuff is need for symmetry so in the back sweep these ISs need to be processed in reverse order and they need to process the equation in reverse order.

It somewhat complicated code but the control code is all in gauss_seid.C, I just have to move it to C (including a linked list).

As far as PETSc design, the current SOR is not really SOR, it is block Jacobi with SOR local solver.  So I think you are taking my name space!  THe current BJ/SOR is very practical so I don't like making  everyone change their command line args ... its up to you.

Mark