[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #119133] petsc-dev configure crash

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 6 15:40:36 CDT 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Barry Smith wrote:

> >>   There have already been many discussions on petsc-dev about how hg subrepos suck and don't satisfy all our needs.
> >
> > That's why I asked about a current list to see exactly what need isn't
> > met.
>
>      Check the old email. Satish and Matt had specific concerns.

One of the concerns we discussed earlier is the additional
requirement: 'subrepo' usage should be same/similar to 'single repo'
usage. This clearly is not possible with (A). [we have to buy into the
sub-repo model and use it appropriately].

i.e be aware which commands work with subrepos by default - and which
ones need '-s' for subrepo - and then be aware that buildsystem you
pull is not the latest [only the latest commited to petsc-dev] etc.

I don't remember other issues that came up witht he model. Perhaps
'pull -u' is different than 'pull;update'? similar to the currently
recommended hook?

> > So far, I only have that older mercurial clients wouldn't be able
> > to push (but pulling should work fine); so all devs would need a
> > recent mercurial client.
>
>    As I mentioned in my email to Jed. There needs to be a way to enforce the use of a recent mercurial client.

> >>   Yuck.
> >
> > Yuck? Everyone would win: Matt would have his separate repo and there
> > would be no more unsynchronized changesets.
>
>     It sounds hacky. If it is not hacky and Matt is fine with this then we could go that route.

The primary drawback is the initial merge of 'petsc-dev +
buildsystem'.  [new clones by everyone? How does merge from petsc-33
to petsc-dev work after this new clone?]

the stand-alone buildsystem from this merged repo can be automated to
some extent. [with 'hg convert' - it can do incremental updates from
merged-petsc-dev to standalone-buildsystem]. Not sure if there are
corner case - [what if some buildsystem files spill over outside
'buildsystem sub-dir' etc..]

Satish