[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #119133] petsc-dev configure crash

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Wed Jun 6 15:03:34 CDT 2012

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > A) make buildsystem a subrepo (svn external for those familiar with svn)
>
>   There have already been many discussions on petsc-dev about how hg subrepos suck and don't satisfy all our needs.
>
> I think "our needs" are mostly wrong in this case. ;-)
>
> Specifically, I think it is a long-running bug that the petsc-dev repository does not record when a BuildSystem change is needed. The implicitly synchronized or fragile "compare dates on the commit" model is bad.

If the only issue is being able to get the BuildSystem revision associated with a pets-dev revision,
How about adding a hook to BuildSystem that at each commit, writes the number of the revision into a file in the pets-dev repository and does a commit in the pets-dev repository? Then all that would be done is

cd $PETSC_DIR
hg up -r <petsc revision>
cd config/BuildSystem
hg up -r `cat $PETSC_DIR/BuildSystemVersion.txt`
Which I am sure can be done automatically with a hook.

It's not high tech, but it would work, right? Plus this could be done a posteriori for all past revisions of BuildSystem.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA