[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #124771] bug report

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 19 18:21:56 CDT 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Barry Smith wrote:

> > I think the primary issue is folks doing 'reply' instead of
> > 'reply-all'. [so a mechaism that adds a reply-to:petsc-maint] would
> > suffice such use case.
> >
> > Any other bypass mechanisms are not worth dealing with.
>
>    So say you.
>
>     Users intentionally make sure that they are sending a personal message to one of the developers thinking they will get more attention!  Call me paranoid but this is the truth, it does not happen through inadvertent wrong kind of reply buttons.

If this is what a user wants to do - he/she can always grab your
e-mail id by other means [other than what is available in the current
e-mail header] - and send a reply to you directly.

Hence its not worth dealing with.

The primary case is: user using 'reply' instead of 'reply-all'.  [for
this case I use reply-to: petsc-maint' from my client]

The secon case is: user sending e-mail to individual developer instead
of petsc-maint. For this case - I bounce such e-mails to petsc-maint
before replying to them.

The third case wher the 'reply-to: petsc-maint' is set - but the user
changes the adress to individual developer is not worth dealing with
with automatically. [we deal with it manually by reminding the user]

Satish