[petsc-dev] How To: petsc binary to matrix market format

Dave Nystrom dnystrom1 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 1 00:32:58 CDT 2012

Jed Brown writes:
 > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Dave Nystrom <dnystrom1 at comcast.net> wrote:
 >
 > > From the FAQ, I see that src/mat/examples/tests/ex72.c provides an example
 > > of
 > > reading in a matrix system in matrix market format and then exporting it in
 > > petsc sparse format for the serial case.
 > >
 > > Is there an example of how to read in a matrix system in kspviewbinary
 > > format
 > > and then write it out in matrix market format for the serial case?
 > >

 > I suggest doing it with Python or Matlab, either of which can read PETSc
 > binary matrices.

Thanks.  I don't have access or experience with Matlab so that seems not a
good option.  I'm fairly new to Python and have never done anything with the
petsc python interface.  But that could be an option.  Once python reads in a
petsc binary matrix, does it then have a function to write out the matrix in
matrix market format?  Or would I need to write the python code to do that?