[petsc-dev] Subcomms

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jan 28 12:10:18 CST 2012

On Jan 28, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Mark F. Adams <mark.adams at columbia.edu> wrote:
>
> On Jan 27, 2012, at 8:22 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> >> I don't think its a matter of smart people not having worked on this, they have IMO, its just a hard problem.
> >
> >   I disagree; it is not necessarily hard, it is just that the non-MPI people are pretty fucking stupid.
> >

> It is not hard, intellectually intriguing, fundable, and smart people won't do it.  What am I missing?
>
> I think Barry's point is that this is another case where, no matter how smart or motivated you are, if you start
> out with a bad design decision in the beginning, and refuse to change it for whatever reason, you will not
> succeed.

   Matt's got it!  The slight difference is that I submit is that people who "start out with a bad design decision in the beginning, and refuse to change it for whatever reason" are fundamentally stupid even though they may be considered by most measures to be smart.  To me the "bad design decisions" are so blindly obviously wrong it is hard for me to label the people who "refuse to change it for whatever reason," anything but stupid, what other phrase should I use "smart in many ways but blindly stupid in this one regard?"

   Barry