[petsc-dev] -pc_type gamg for vector PDE

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 20 08:50:03 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:19, Alexander Grayver <agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de>wrote:

> My initial motivation to try gamg was that paper:
> W.A. *Mulder*, A *multigrid solver for 3D* electromagnetic diffusion

This paper does entirely geometric coarse grids. You could use PCMG, but
you would have to write your own interpolation and restriction operators
(because even in the structured case, DMDA does not have specific support
for edge discretizations; you can use DMDA, but it won't automatically
build correct interpolants).

The smoother in this paper is node-centered overlapping relaxation. It
solves overlapping 6x6 problems (all edges connected to that node). I don't
know of a reliable way to extract these node connections from the matrix
alone, so you would have to implement this.

If you implement these two ingredients (interpolation and node-based
relaxation), then you can run the geometric multigrid method in this paper.