[petsc-dev] Barry, why would you do such a thing?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 5 11:52:31 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:35, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> hg commit    !   crap see something in their I don't understand
> exit emacs without saving

You don't use emacsclient? I can't fathom why anyone would ever exit Emacs.

> hg diff

hg revert
> hg commt

No need to revert, just list the files you want to commit in "hg commit".

> > I take it you have tried TortoiseHG, SourceTree, etc, and they don't do
> what you want?
>
>    The problem with the GUI's is that they are ALL GUI, so I have to hunt
> down the GUI icon, click on some buttons then close the GUI window
> manually. While with command line I am right there and hg commit, pull,
> push etc can be executed much faster
>
>   What I want is the the editor that opens with commit display each file
> changed and below some of the diffs. And then in the editor I can mark any
> of the diffs if I chose as revert or as don't include in commit. Is that
> too much to ask? Or an hg commit that opens a simple GUI just for the
> commit (instead of an editor) with all possible options of revert etc (bk
> had this 10+ years ago and hg still doesn't have it).

hg crecord (https://bitbucket.org/edgimar/crecord/wiki/Home) is the curses
version of this.

thg commit also works like this, but it is hopelessly slow for me. Maybe
some kind person will rewrite it in C. ;-)

Others mentioned qct.

My favorite interfaces for this sort of thing are "egg" (Emacs mode for
Git) and "git citool" (in core git).