[petsc-dev] Barry, why would you do such a thing?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 5 11:35:28 CST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:25, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> You fix hg so it is not such a piece of shit that doesn't tell you what you changed by default, then this won't happen again. What the fuck do the mecurial developers think, I have any memory capacity at all?
>
> When running from the command line, I use hg diff before hg commit.

   That requires me to do an extra step before I know I have to do that extra step (it is only have that I have typed hg commit that I see a mystery file that I didn't know I changed.) So now it is a many step process

hg commit    !   crap see something in their I don't understand
exit emacs without saving
hg diff
hg revert
hg commt

> I take it you have tried TortoiseHG, SourceTree, etc, and they don't do what you want?

   The problem with the GUI's is that they are ALL GUI, so I have to hunt down the GUI icon, click on some buttons then close the GUI window manually. While with command line I am right there and hg commit, pull, push etc can be executed much faster

   What I want is the the editor that opens with commit display each file changed and below some of the diffs. And then in the editor I can mark any of the diffs if I chose as revert or as don't include in commit. Is that too much to ask? Or an hg commit that opens a simple GUI just for the commit (instead of an editor) with all possible options of revert etc (bk had this 10+ years ago and hg still doesn't have it).