[petsc-dev] DM field interfaces

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Feb 25 12:23:38 CST 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:18, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is incorrect. I want to use PetscSection because DM just cannot do
> arbitrary data layout. Can we please
> stop making examples with vertex unknowns on structures meshes? They have
> nothing left to tell us.

This has nothing to do with DM, that's DMDA.

I now realize a weakness in my PF transformation suggestion: it doesn't
work with vector elements (Raviart-Thomas or Nedelec) or staggered grids. I
don't know a way to include that with the ability to transform from
conservative to primitive variables. This is unfortunate because many
important preconditioning methods operate in different variables than the
nonlinear system is defined in.