[petsc-dev] DMComplex and PCFieldSplit

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 15:24:15 CST 2012

> Exactly what it says in the help. It is a mapping from mesh points
> (vertices, edges, faces, cells) to dofs. How can this be easier?

Last time I checked, freshman linear algebra doesn't cover topology. It
would barely even cover how to define a surjective map. If you're going to
use the term "fiber bundle" then please define in rigorous terms:

1) the topological space
2) the projection map
3) the space that the projection maps to
4) the commutate diagram

I'm not joking, by the way. If you want people to use this, then they will
have to be able to explain to their colleagues, students, etc. what this
object is. If you can't provide these definitions, then stop using the term
"fiber bundle". Also, don't split hairs over "vector bundle" vs. "fiber
bundle". In either case, provide the definitions. I'm tired of this
bullshit documentation.