[petsc-dev] Merge sets

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 21:44:32 CST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> > I have lost the BB battle, however can we at least start using
> >
> >   hg pull --rebase
> >
> > so that we avoid this
> >
> >   https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/changeset/ad9064ecab66
>

>  1) I don't like the idea of a pull doing anything locally on my machine.
> I want it to only get the stuff from the remote repository and bring it to
> my machine. This reeks of svn

I see it as a replacement for multiple repositories and carefully
orchestrated pulling, like Linus used to do, in order
to keep change sets clean. It is not giving up on the concept of change
sets like svn.

>  2) If the rebase implementation has been fixed from the hacky versions
> that fucked unnecessarily with my file system I'll be happy to start using
> rebase. Is it fixed?

I cannot identify the behavior from that description. However, I have been
using it for almost a year now, and the
nice thing is that if anything goes wrong (merges with MacHg can screw up
badly), I just do

  hg rollback
  hg revert --all

You might be talking about the need to revert.

    Matt