[petsc-dev] DMGetMatrix --> DMGetMatrices?

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 17 22:12:53 CST 2012

The need for computation reuse (between J and J_pre, for example) might
require a change in the SNES callback model.
Right now each call -- FormFunction, FormJacobian -- is stateless.  It
takes a Vec X and computes the corresponding quantities -- residual, J,
J_pre -- solely from X.  Any callback that  wanted to reuse any other
callback's computation would have to be able to make sure the reuse is
safe: am I being called with the same X as this previous callback that
already precomputed a bunch of stuff for me?  This is only possible with a
costly, collective (and imprecise) vector comparison, or a fragile state
tracker within X.  If this is unacceptable, the callbacks must carry (and
share) a state, and, thus, become objects.

That's probably undesirable within the basic SNES callback model, but may
be natural within the DM-based callback model: a SNES sets its DM's Vec X
and calls DMFunction, DMJacobian without any argument -- those calls pull
out X and compute whatever they need, including some common data for others
(e.g., PC DM) to reuse.  A new call to DMSetVec() will reset these common
data structures.  This way the DM can also be viewed as a "factory".

This would probably make my interaction with libMesh a bit easier, but
isn't strictly necessary.  Still, it would be good to know any thoughts on
this.

Dmitry.