[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 18:41:13 CST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:22 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> this with you last time. Your gmail, facebook, yahoo, etc. are all
> automatically OpenIDs.
> > >
> > >  I sure don't want to use my facebook account
> > >
> > > Ssshhh, don't let the whole world know you have a facebook account.
> Then you can't play the curmudgeon at the lunch table.
> > >
> > > to access work related stuff, that is absurd.
> > >
> > > I have a username and password on bitbucket. It's not linked to gmail
> or facebook.

> designed this monstrosity?

> > >   Bitbucket should have a concept of "accounts" (each of us has one of
> these) and "repository trees" (which can be equally shared by one or more
> accounts).  To use accounts to hold a repository tree is moronic because it
> makes unsymmetric the relationship between the owner of the account that
> owns the repository tree and the other accounts that can do stuff with that
> repository tree.  So what other idiotic decisions did these morons make?
> > >
> > > Github has a special kind of account for "organizations". It just
> makes repository/access management simpler and the front pages more
> intuitive.
> >
> >  What, something BitBucket didn't steal?   Git here I come.
> >
> > Do I really have to respond to this? You can admin everything from your
> account. I already do it.
>

>   Not true. Make a clone of bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.bitbucket.org make
> a change to it and try to push, you cannot. You need to send email to Sean
> asking him for write permission to that repository.  So cannot access
> repositories in petsc that Sean has not explicitly given me access to.

Of course you can't write to a repository without being given access.
Probably because its always someone else
that does it, you do not remember having someone mail there SSH key,
editing the .ssh/authorized_keys file,
sticking in the correct string with the hacked up script in it.

Can you really be making this argument? Are you purposely not looking at
how this works?

   Matt