[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 18:36:59 CST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Barry Smith wrote:

>   I am totally confused. Why can I use my BarryFSmith account to admin repositories people make and push and pull repositories but suddenly when I want to have admin at the petsc level I need to use this other "openid" thing?????? Why, why why?

Hmm openid is orthongonal. As I understand things - its just a
machanism to not maintain yet-another-passwd-for-yet-another-site.

[i.e setup openid with any openid provider. and then user this
credential to login to accounts at 10 different sites. Obviously each
site will track you as a different user - so they like to give you a
user name].

But you can ignore this - and do a userid/passwd just for bitbucket.

The model is:

you have an 'account' - and can create repos there. Now you are the
owner of the repos.

Then you can give 'admin' privilidges to other 'account' users on any
given repo. And also create groups to give read/write permissions
etc..

So they have this distinction of 'owner' vs 'admin' [and I think only
owner can delete repos]

Satish