[petsc-dev] DMGetMatrix --> DMGetMatrices?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 16:05:25 CST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 15:59, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> This makes no sense to me unless the two matrices being returned have
> different sparsity patterns, and we have no
> good way for specifying that, or even a good rationale for doing it.

Preconditioning with a STAR stencil is often pretty good.

Dmitry is suggesting specifying it by having two "slots" in which we can
request a matrix.

DMSetMatrixPreallocateOnly(), DMSetMatrixType(), and perhaps a couple
others would need two arguments so the two matrices can be addressed
separately.

It's not clear to me that two is always the right number of ways to
distinguish matrices.