[petsc-dev] A more positive thread

Paul Mullowney paulm at txcorp.com
Fri Feb 10 10:31:02 CST 2012

I'll write up something about the implementation this weekend and pass
it on. The key is that everything is done asynchronously and that
communication costs are pretty well hidden for large matrices. The code
is in our add on package, txpetscgpu. If many people are working on this
code, it may be worthwhile to move this code into the main PETSc source.

The example I've been using to test is :
src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex10.c

The matrices that I get
1) 40+ GFlops is af_shell4 from the UFL collection.
2) cfd.2.10 gets around 18 GFlops on 4 GPUs in CSR format. It gets 22
GFlops on 2 GPUs in ELL format.

My system has 4 Nvidia 2070s attached to a single node. There are 2 nodes.

-Paul