[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 09:17:51 CST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Satish Balay wrote:

> > With Bitbucket, GitHub, and all the others, the web account is *not* a unix
> > account. It's just a way to manage identity/keys. Everyone using ssh has
> > hg at bitbucket.org (and git at github.com, etc).
>
> sure the implemtation details are different - but I mean - the top
> level models as I described are equivalent - and can be implemented
> equivallly.
>
> Yesh all users go though a single unix account [for ssh] - and a
> [thats implementation detail - and it shouldnm't matter].

Ok - I'll agree the account management at Bitbucket is better than
what we have at petsc.cs.iit.edu [esp when one is involved in multiple
projects hosted at bitbucket].

wrt the other 2 issues yo've raised:

1. fail2ban blocking on messages of the following type:
Oct 24 14:48:15 petsc sshd[1782]: Address 71.74.181.122 maps to cpe-71-74-181-122.mi.res.rr.com, but this does not map back to the address - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!

fixed fail2ban to ignore these messages.

2: ssh not working from crappy networks [aka istanbul airport] - so https is preferable.
Here - I'll say its more about port 22 being blocked - and port 443 beeing open.

So I'm having ssh listen on port 443 aswell. [there are multiple ways
of doing this. I'm currently using ipatbles for this. Will see how
stable the current approach is].

from ~/.ssh/config

host petsc-ssh-over-https.cs.iit.edu
   HostName petsc.cs.iit.edu
   Port 443

asterix:/home/balay/spetsc>hg pull ssh://petsc@petsc-ssh-over-https.cs.iit.edu://hg/petsc/petsc-dev
running ssh petsc at petsc-ssh-over-https.cs.iit.edu 'hg -R /hg/petsc/petsc-dev serve --stdio'
pulling from ssh://petsc@petsc-ssh-over-https.cs.iit.edu//hg/petsc/petsc-dev
searching for changes
no changes found
asterix:/home/balay/spetsc>

Some migh prefer https [esp windows] - becase its easier to completely
avoid dealing with ssh. This can also be fixed on petsc.cs.iit - but
since this is not elegant - I'll avoid that.

You guys can still decide on moving over to bitbucket though..

Satish