[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 22:54:41 CST 2012

> Come on guys, it is completely moronic that bitbucket doesn't support
> subdirectories to hold repositories. No amount of rationalization can
> provide a reason for this absurdity.

What's completely moronic is that petsc.cs.itt is hosting so many
repositories that are mostly cruft:

Allen-Cahn-2D
Cahn-Hillard-1D
Cahn-Hillard-2D
FMM
FMM-dev
ams-dev
composing-nonlinear-solvers
cudaFMM
dft
dft-fft
dft-log
dft-mg
dft-rfd
externalpackages-old/MUMPS_4.7.3
externalpackages-old/MUMPS_4.9.2
externalpackages-old/ParMetis
externalpackages-old/ParMetis-3.1.1
externalpackages-old/SuperLU_4.0
externalpackages-old/SuperLU_DIST_2.2
 externalpackages-old/SuperLU_DIST_2.4
externalpackages-old/UMFPACK-5.2
externalpackages-old/f2cblaslapack
externalpackages-old/f2cblaslapack-3.1.1.q.old
externalpackages-old/fblaslapack
externalpackages-old/hypre-2.6.0b
externalpackages-old/sowing-1.1.11
lwang-dev
multiphysics
petsc-dev-new???
petscpathlib
pthread-paper
reacting_flow
releases/BuildSystem-2.3.1
releases/BuildSystem-2.3.2
releases/BuildSystem-2.3.3
releases/BuildSystem-3.0.0
releases/BuildSystem-3.1
simpleConfigure
temp/petsc-dev-ts

If you look at the repositories left, only tutorials and externalpackages
exist. We can even put the latter here:

https://bitbucket.org/externalpackages

For the private paper repositories, bitbucket gives you an unlimited number
of private repos for free.

Some of Jed's rationalizations are going off the deep end.

Woah! That's the pot calling the kettle black.

> * In order to not have a Releases directory he states: "I think separate
> clones for every release is clutter."

You honestly think it's worth keeping repositories around that haven't been
touched in 6 years? How is that not clutter?

Face it, bitbucket has this really stupid feature.

Funny, we say the same thing about your commit messages :-)

I see no upside to bitbucket and hence I only see a downside, so why change?

Do you not remember getting burned by fail2ban while at the Utah (Nevada?)
workshop?

> Except Sean doesn't want to drag his ass over to IIT twice a year and
> people want to  use buggy wireless networks.

People! *None* of us would have to do *anything* to maintain the server. No
more buying new hard drives, no more accidental shut-downs, *OTHER* people
would fix that stuff.

 Tell me the real reason you want to use bitbucket.

Just to upset you and then laugh when we see you pull your hair out.