[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 8 09:39:24 CST 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> On Feb 8, 2012, at 6:43 AM, Satish Balay wrote:

> >>   Those guys are very resourceful; I cannot image a simple locked door would be an issue for them.
> >>
> >>   Barry
> >>
> >>   Besides who the heck set up the machine so it cannot be started remotely? Should have used an Apple machine :-)
> >

> > It was a human error [when you tell something to shutdown - it should not automatically restart].
> >
> > yeah - if we installed server infrastructure with remote admin feature
> > - then it could have been powered up remotely [from the remote
> > management console or something like that..]
>
>   Isn't that a basic Linux thing, start on LANS signal.
>

> > looks like folks [Sean,Matt,Barry] are happy with bitbucket.
>
>   Not me. I'm not happy with it.  I prefer the PETSc machine, bitbucket is just a back up when the PETSc machine goes down. If the PETSc machine is back up then we switch the master repository back.
>
> What is wrong? Not enough freedom to mess up the machine? I don't feel like pushing 2 places.

   Push two places manually? WTF, presumably Mecurial is feature rich enough that you could automate the whole process of "pushing to 2 places"?

   Ok, I need to understand more how bitbucket handles a hierarchy of different repositories with different permissions in different parts and have a hierarchy of managers of the repositories and adding new repositories. I don't want to just have haphazard creation of new repositories without a proper relationship between them.