[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] VECMPICUSP with ghosted vector

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 6 12:47:34 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 21:42, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't like this because it would mean calling VecSetUp() all over the
> place. Couldn't the ghosting flag be on the same
> level as the sizes?

Maybe VecSetUp() is wrong because that would imply collective. This memory
allocation is simple and need not be collective.

Ghosting information is an array, so placing it in VecSetSizes() would seem
unnatural to me. I wouldn't really want VecSetGhosts(Vec,PetscInt,const
PetscInt*) to be order-dependent with respect to VecSetType(), but maybe
the VecSetUp() would be too messy.