[petsc-dev] chevy is messing with me

Mark F. Adams mark.adams at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 18 16:02:40 CST 2012

I'm getting a floating point exception in the eigen estimator for cheby on the 2nd solve of ex56 (you need to uncomment the define of TwoSolve) when I use sor PC (runex56 uses jacobi so you need to change that).  I see this on Cray and my Mac.

I also found that the eigen estimator was called before the first solve, and worked fine, but I set the eigen values so I don't want it computing eigen values.

I can understand cheby being the eager beaver and recomputing eigen values when I set a new matrix, but this not the semantics that I prefer.

So there seem to be three issues:

1) seems the floating point exception.  This only happens with a non-debug build.  I'm also using 64 bit indices.

2) computing eigenvalues even though I set them.

3) I would like to tell cheby not to recompute eigenvalues.

Mark