[petsc-dev] "Libraries don't have to suck"

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 14 16:13:17 CST 2012

Hey,

On 12/13/2012 03:46 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
> I'm sure that users would appreciate one release of deprecation. It's
> not hard to implement when deprecating a routine entirely, but it's
> trickier when changing the interface to an existing routine. It can be
> achieved through a "feature test macro" that asks for the old version,
> though this still requires that the user "change their code" (or
> preprocessor definitions) to build with the new version. Some projects
> include the version number in the API, but that looks ugly and confusing
> to the user, especially after the old version has been removed.

I'm also in favor of offering a 'grace period' for the main user
functions, at least for the most frequently used. I don't have a good
strategy for dealing with changes to existing functions at hand, though.

> It's technically feasible for PETSc to offer this, but it's still not a
> trivial amount of effort and doesn't fix all the user's complaints.

If it fixes half of the user complaints we would get otherwise, it's
probably already worth the effort...

Best regards,
Karli