[petsc-dev] a TS feature

Emil Constantinescu emconsta at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 10 23:32:45 CST 2012

On 12/10/12 11:06 PM, Sean Farley wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>>
>>>   I'd the ability to provide to TS a list of times at which I'd like the
>>> ODE integrator have exactly match that time on a time-step (that is adjust
>>> the delta t near that time to hit it exactly).  This is something Shri
>>> needs.
>>

>> Is this general enough to add to the library itself?
>
> What Barry is describing is what I've asked for before when revamping
> the TS interface. It's a dead-simple feature: you just pass a list of
> times. It shouldn't require monkeying around with the adaptive
> controller

Sean, do you need it to stop times or produce the solution at given? The
solution can be produced via interpolation (would be relatively easy to
implement - Matlab does that). We need to be careful about stopping -
there could be situations in which we have to take a step(s) of [small
number]*epsilon machine that in turn may lead to instabilities.

-Emil