[petsc-dev] malloc_dump noise from threadcomm

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 8 17:27:33 CST 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:13 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good to me.
>
>    Note if we somehow specially mark a malloc in the creation of
> PetscHeader we may not even need to have a separate data structure for
> keeping track of object mallocs. Just have a special PetscMallocDump() type
> of function that only prints the stacks for each new object (and not for
> every malloc).

Okay, so add a field to TRSPACE to record object class, then
have PetscLogObjCreateDefault() call a PetscTrMallocSetClass(void
*malloced_addr,PetscTrMallocClass traceclass) to change the tracing class
of an existing piece of memory (the implementation can walk the tables to
find the memory, though in the common case, it will already be at head).
Then we add support for "-malloc_dump_class mat,ksp" (no argument means
trace all objects).

Sensible or overkill?