[petsc-dev] Why did you move the line search in SNESView

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 6 18:00:17 CST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I have to change a bunch of output. Do you mind if I move it
> back?

    Yes I do mind. Peter put it in a dumb spot AFTER all the linear solver info. Note that the linear solver info can be very extensive when using field split and multigrid preconditioners etc. It makes no sense for several pages of output to separate the line search info from the nonlinear solver info.

    We just have to bite the bullet and eventually regenerate the output files.  With PETSc we don't stick with bad design decisions just because it requires some work to change to a better design :-)

   Barry