[petsc-dev] Counting Fortran function pointers

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 5 07:34:38 CST 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 2:19 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> So the choice is
>
> 1. Do the enum, which is a dirty hack, but much less fragile than the current code. It has a bad dependency and will always be a mild pain in the ass, but at least code using it shouldn't be buggy.
>
> 2. Do registration which is reliable and extensible without any bad dependencies, but is extra initialization.

   It's crap and centralizes all the fortran interfaces for all the fortran objects, totally unnecessary.

   I know you are living for the day when you can implement a "fast" registered equivalent to PetscObjectCompose() (like MPI attributes are allegedly fast) but I am not going to let you :-(; the compose functionality is suppose to be for unexpected non-often events, anything that is in the main code flow is suppose to be done some other way.

   Barry