[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Any suggestion for this kinds of matrix?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 10 20:35:12 CST 2011

Mark, YOU obtained a matrix with poorly scaled boundary conditions (by a
cool factor of 1e13). Some people use penalties which is worse. The
preconditioned norm fixes the scaling. We used -ksp_diagonal_scale to
actually modify the matrix entries, but that is a bit fragile/restrictive.

I think we would have just as much confusion on petsc-maint/users (from the
residual dropping abruptly on the first iteration) if we made
unpreconditioned the default.