[petsc-dev] cmakeboot.py is a total disaster needs fixing or removal

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Mon May 23 16:50:53 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 23:30, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    You move a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with cmake into
> cmakeboot.py  for example    self.make          =
> self.framework.require('config.programs',        None)

Why does this modify anything in the enclosing scope? I used to run
cmakeboot.py as a completely separate process just so I could be sure that
reading variables wouldn't pollute anything else. But if it's going to run
as part of configure, before the RDict is written to a file, then it needs a
way to read.

> now if your silly cmakeboot stuff doesn't work then variables like OMAKE
> are never defined in the generated petscvariables file and so nothing can
> get built.

How can cmakeboot.py read variables without modifying _anything_?