[petsc-dev] attaching field information to PetscLayout?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 20:26:13 CDT 2011

On May 16, 2011, at 5:57 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>   In preparation for adding  field information to PetscLayout (as discussed below in the previous email) I have fixed up PETSc-dev so that VecDuplicate(), MatDuplicate() and MatGetVecs() results in new objects that reference the previous PetscLayouts (rather than produce new ones).  Also, inspired by a comment of Dmitry I have put the ISLocalToGlobalMapping mapping and bmapping objects into the PetscLayout so that each individual Vec and Mat doesn't need to mess with them. Please report any problems and if you find places where new vectors are created directly rather than by duplication etc report this as well. Note that these changes are all good things to do independent of putting field information into the PetscLayout.
>
> For FEM stuff (like mixed elements, higher order, complicated bases), I need layout information that maps
>
>     mesh piece ---> (size, offset)

   I have no idea what a mesh piece is nor how it can be indicated by only a size and an offset :-)

   Anyways, my thought is for "approach specific" stuff like this; one would put it in an object and then attach the object to the PetscLayout with ComposeObject. Now given any vector or matrix you can just pull out the particular information out of the PetscLayout which is shared by all the (associated) Vecs and Matrices. Only universally meaningful stuff like the fields would go directly into the PetscLayout.

   Barry