[petsc-dev] attaching field information to PetscLayout?

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 16 06:52:19 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 13:30, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> The overlapping logic goes elsewhere (MatSetValuesLocal).
>
> Note that the MatSetValuesLocal() kind of overlap (the
> ISLocalToGlobalMapping) is now part of PetscLayout.

True, although MatSetValuesLocal (not the default implementation in
the interface)
is a way to extend the mechanism that relies on ISLocalToGlobalMapping.
This can include whatever semantics are appropriate to handle the overlaps, etc.
I think this is a reasonable splitting of functionality between
PetscLayout and MatSetValuesLocal().