[petsc-dev] autogeneration of petscconf.h for C, C++ and Fortran

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri May 13 08:30:40 CDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 15:16, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Why? Since we have complete control of the process why put in ugly #ifdef
> logic? Just put the information into different files.  Use of CPP is an
> admission that you haven't found a better way to do it :-)

I think that doing any one thing at compile time is pretty much admission of
the same. But once you decide to make the choice at compile time, I don't
see how a combinatorial number of generated files is clearly better. Matt
would have us move all of PETSc into BuildSystem and generate a header that
did everything. ;-)

For C versus C++, I don't really care. Ideally it is not necessary to have
separate headers or #ifdef in there.