[petsc-dev] Okay, petscmath.h is a complete piece of crap and now its breaking my build

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Mar 15 13:32:10 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 19:22, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does yours? My Emacs does not follow #if, and it would not know what branch
> anyway.

Semantic can parse petscconf.h, then it knows. You are familiar with M-x
cpp-highlight-mode, right?

>> How would it be easier to audit whether all possible combinations were
>> valid if the code was generated?
>>

> 1) I would see exactly what I got (I know I can do this by hand with -E)

But only for one configuration at a time, the preprocessor statements would
be simple if there were a small number of possible configurations. It is
nested deeply because there is a combinatorial number of possibilities. How
is auditing that faster with code generation. In particular, when you change
the generator, how do you confirm that all possible combinations still
result in correct code?

> 2) I could look at the configure log to see what decisions were made. This
> is difficult with the #if model.

LOL.

> 3) The problem turns out to be silent failure due to the need to
reconfigure. This would not happen in the
    generated model.

If everything was generated, you would always need to reconfigure. Why don't
you just always reconfigure now?