[petsc-dev] List of Solver Successes

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 06:36:04 CDT 2011

I was going over some pages today from a prog lang/comp opt person, trying
to figure out
if any of their stuff could apply to what we do. It was very hard, because
there were a lot
of general methods (incrementalization, loop transformation) that are known
to fail in many
cases. I found myself wishing that they had made a list of algorithms,
perhaps with the
relevant citation, for which these methods were known to work.

It then occurred to me that we are in a very similar situation. I know its a
pain in the ass
because usually it requires some impossible to write preconditioner, lots of
extra domain
information, etc. However, just listing a few clear papers for major problem
areas would
be a great resource I think, and we could point a lot of petsc-maint queries
that way.

It might also help clear up our discussion on whether we can actually do
some things, like
solve variable viscosity Stokes.

lead.